"Hunting Road 'Gators..."

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Preparing for the Worst - Just in Case

Cross-country motorcycle trip planning has to include the "what if" preparations. What if I crash, what if I get hospitalized, what will happen to the bike?

I've signed up with
MASA (medical air services) for past trips with my better half because one of MASA's benefits is that they not only take care of the rider, they take care of the rider's companion / fellow rider, and *both* bikes. Think about it, had I needed hospitalization after I high sided on Mormon cricket slime on Nevada's Highway 50 which was more than 150 miles away from our home, Peter would have gone to the hospital with me, leaving one very messed up bike and one ridable bike just sitting out there. MASA's policy would have flown both Peter and me to a hospital near our home *and* retrieved the bikes. Pretty good policy! Worth the money as far as I'm concerned.
The service that takes care of you, your partner/family and your bikes is an annual membership. MASA does have a short trip service offering that will take care of you, but not your bike.
For my summer trip I figured it was time to check out MedJet, a MASA competitor. As a BMW MOA member I get a discount on MedJet services. MedJet's services are comparable to MASA's. MedJet's prices for a single rider are a little cheaper than MASA's and their short trip service offering will take care of your bike. 

Just for grins, I also checked on
Air Ambulance Card because the inmates on the ADVRider Forum mentioned the service in the same thread as MASA and MedJet. I scoured the Air Ambulance website and saw no mention of motorcycles so I sent them a message and asked. I received a polite message confirming that they do not offer any services to take care of your motorcycle if you are hospitalized so I crossed them off my list.

I hope that the research and the purchase of a short trip policy with MedJet will be an acceptable sacrifice to the gods of road trip chaos. If not, that's what the policy is for - to give me peace of mind. Four weeks and counting.


[A note on the link to the cricket slime story, 10 years ago when I started this blog, I was hand-coding it and I used frames. To see the entry in its proper context, go to the July 2005 entry after you click
here. Someday if I get very ambitious, I'll reimplement the seven years of historical entries in WordPress. (grin)]

Copied from;

No comments:

Post a Comment