"Hunting Road 'Gators..."

Monday, January 17, 2011

24 Years Later...

Fast forward 24 years- I got married, opened and ran a business with my wife, my son Sawyer was born, we bought our Xavier house, finally remodeled it, sold the house, got divorced and moved to Lake Tahoe from Ventura.  After trading in my motorcycle habit for a ski boat and lots of camping with the Fun Club for 10 years, I was ready to get another scoot.

The problem was I had lots of reservations about being a parent, and having what is obviously a dangerous hobby.  Was it really responsible to take such a risk, while having to provide for the long term well-being of a child?

I had been looking online at lots of bikes, and this time I felt that a touring cruiser type of ride was what I was in the mood for.  Looked at lots of Harleys, debated the value in an HD, along with the mechanical issues versus a rice-burner, and could not come to a decision.  Everyone makes a V-Twin cruiser these days, and some you can't tell from an HD, except for the lack of oil on the ground underneath it.

And I had this Toyota Avalon to sell- one I brought up from SoCal, that just didn't cut it in the deep snow and ice of Incline Village.  Couldn't give that thing away after the whole Toyota recall debacle, and it was pissing me off.  That was my scoot money just sitting there!  Anyway, logged on to Craigslist Sacto one day, was looking through the bikes for sale and up pops one that I instantly knew was the style and coloring I wanted.  A 2007 Yamaha VStar Silverado 1100 cc with only 1250 miles on it-  and a $1000 below blue book.  Holy crap...  AND the best part was the ad said they would consider the trade of a 4 door car!  Next thing you know I'm riding this baby home from Sacto!  Traded the car and a little cash for this sweet ride!  I have to say that things happen for a reason, and the fact that I stumbled onto this ride, and the exact deal I needed to make it work, was a sign to me from the Gods that its OK to be riding again, even with Sawyer in the picture.  Convenient karma, I know, but its working for me!

I have committed to both Sawyer and his Mom that I will always wear my full face helmet and leathers, I'll go slow, and ride like I'm invisible.


I have to say that being back on a bike after all these years is very fun- and the rides originating out of the Lake Tahoe area are awesome.  Be it a 4 hour, 3 day or 10 day trip, there are so many great places to ride to and see.  The one bitch is the cold weather, and ice up here.  I don't mind the cold- you can gear up for that.  But getting off the mountain in the winter can be a challenge.  One patch of black ice can ruin your whole season!

No comments:

Post a Comment